Wednesday, September 10, 2008

More works from Stout

Title: "Frozen Motion" 2006
Media: Wood w/oil polish
Description: Movement in 3D form.
Artist's thoughts: When I thought of movement in 3D space, I thought of the human figure/form. To be honest, I thought back to the Greeks and Roman sculptures, the classic antiquity style of appreciation of the human body. However, we were working with wood piece and I didn't want to mimic the sculptures too much. So I decided on an abstract form, in this case a female form for a change. In the work, I have five different layers. (Not including the radical hair that sprouts up to mid-air). Each layers therefore works to bring 3D to the form. Bringing out the figures legs and arm while the head remains behind the shoulders. This work can also be viewed from behind in the same sense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is a handsome piece. i enjoy the implied motion. it is as almost as created a snap shot of a woman moving. there is an implied narrative with the piece that keeps the viewer interested. I also find that curve up top to be a fun little extra to the piece. kudos sir, kudos.